Sunday 24 March 2019

Initial Idea 3 - Double Sided Poster With Flowchart

With the content and arguments of my essay developing, it become clear that a manifesto with clear set rules of how to design a good movie poster might be impossible, after all if this was possible, wouldn’t it have been done by now? Obviously like any design, movie posters are subjective and different people like different posters, sometimes for more personal reasons. However beyond that, I have found that the success of a movie poster is highly determined by its effectiveness in reaching its desired target audience, and also its effectiveness in communicating its genre.  So with this in mind, surely there are multiple different formats and ways a poster can be considered successful? With this in mind, I thought about how I can communicate my findings and then thought about doing s sort of flow chart; this could have multiple different branches and people could read it follow it down and get specific responses to designing a movie poster depending on what sort of poster they need to design. This could be on a double sided poster, with the other side being a poster that I design. One positive aspect of doing this as opposed to a poster zine would be that because it doesn’t fold up, the poster wouldn’t be all crinkled and folded, meaning its displayed and communicated in a more bespoke manner which seems fitting for a movie poster. 


I started thinking about the way I could design this flow chart, I haven’t come up with the actual content for it yet, as I haven’t finished the essay,  however I quite liked the idea of emulating some of the geometric shapes that Saul Bass used in his posters, he actually hand rendered these and cut them out of card so maybe I could do the same. 


No comments:

Post a Comment

COP Presentation - Feedback

In general, the feedback for my cop proposal was positive. My essay question makes sense and does not need to be altered and the research a...