Friday 11 October 2019

Caramel Typography

As a practical experiment to create a logotype for Connan Mockasin, I bought some golden syrup and drew out letterforms with it. I think the thickness and viscosity of the syrup really materialised the idea of caramel. At first the letterforms didn’t come out that well, I literally tried drawing out his name however by the time I got to taking a photo, thew syrup had spread out and the letterforms were less refined. So I refined the process by quickly doing larger letterforms of the same letter 2 or 3 times. I then decided that by squeezing more on the ends of the stems and doing thinner connecting stems, the letterforms assumed quite a nice gloopy psychedelic shape. I edited the images of the letterforms on illustrator, refining the shapes by decreasing the amount of anchor points, creating more fluid refined shapes. I like the end result, I think it does convey the idea of caramel whilst also looking quite free and psychedelic. If I were to refine this logotype more, I would experiment with making the letterforms more rigid and rational in some parts, creating a more bespoke typeface. I also think it would be interesting to use variants of letters that appear more than once, emphasising this idea that it has been drawn out in caramel. 










No comments:

Post a Comment

COP Presentation - Feedback

In general, the feedback for my cop proposal was positive. My essay question makes sense and does not need to be altered and the research a...